Wednesday 5 July 2023

When Critics Disagree, The Artist Is In Accord With Himself

In news that should surprise no one, Teenage Fanclub had a blast in Norway....








Ah, Loganair.

It was a treat to be back at Hardangerfjord where I had snapped a photo of the moon over the water several years ago (on another Teenage Fanclub jaunt), using the image for a certain album:

In addition to UK/Europe later this year, Teenage Fanclub are coming to Japan, Australia and New Zealand in 2024. All dates here.

Prior to the Norway jaunt, this on the big screen was amazing...

Hooray for the good ol' Glasgow Film Theatre. (Now do No Direction Home. And Eat The Document. And Renaldo And Clara...)

Oh, this was great on the big GFT screen too:


I also enjoyed the new Wham! doc for what it was.


I'm getting into This Cultural Life. I enjoyed listening back to Maggi Hambling on This Cultural Life and also Jeremy Deller (especially the part about Francis Bacon who says, "if you look at a Rembrandt painting - I feel I know very much more about Rembrandt than I do about the sitter").  From the Brian Cox episode: Lindsay Anderson gave Cox one of the best notes he was ever to receive: "Don't just do something, stand there."

I love it when David Owen Norris pops up on Building A Library on Radio 3 on a Saturday morning. 


Always engaging, entertaining and funny. I am reading The Wellspring a book of conversation between David and his son Barney...



There's also a good line in there somewhere to the effect that amateurs practise until they can get it right, while professionals practise until they can't get it wrong.

And still I draw...
























(anyone remember Clapperboard?)

Look at this geezer, chewin' a wasp...



I've been digging this lately...



Hasta la vista, x.

No comments:

Post a Comment