Thursday 27 August 2020

The Lion In Winter

I've been re-listening to this splendid curio...

 

(Paul Bryan was really Sérgio Sá - some context here.)

I enjoyed "The Looking Glass War". I think I'll keep on my John Le Carré kick for a while longer. But right now I am re-reading:


I'm still diggin' this:


I re-watched "The Story Of Fire Saga":


Hooray for benign, silly fun in these grim times. The New Yorker film reviewer was a bit sniffy about it. Meanwhile my pal's daughters watched it every day for a fortnight. My favourite scene? The Song-A-Long, of course!

Speaking of benign, silly fun, a wee touch of Laurel & Hardy - specifically "Another Fine Mess" (1930) - is always good for what ails you:


"Inside The Brudenhof"  is a grimly fascinating documentary. I guess one person's Utopia is another person's Dystopia.

Speaking of grimly fascinating, I watched Keith (Allen) Meets Keith (Floyd) on youtube. Floyd's last TV appearance. Not uplifting viewing. Frail and in poor health, he reportedly died of a heart attack the same night it was broadcast. 


I'll remember Floyd in happier, more locquacious times:
"Cooking is an art and patience a virtue. Careful shopping, fresh ingredients and an unhurried approach are nearly all you need. There is one more thing - love. Love for food and love for those you invite to your table. With a combination of these things you can be an artist"
On that note I can exclusively reveal my top secret Lemon Cheesecake recipe.

Farewell, my dear Hector.

No comments:

Post a Comment