Wednesday 3 May 2023

Not To Bragg

I'm glad we have Melvyn Bragg's In Our Time. A nice roll of seemingly eternal cultural wallpaper to take for granted like flicking through the channels and catching the last 10 minutes of Dad's Army.

I had a podcast listen to his discussion of Picasso's Guernica. Now I'm elbows deep in The Sistine Chapel.

Life Changing is another Radio 4 programme that draws me in every time I come across it. Hazel Ellis-Saxon's story tells us about the importance of how we talk to - and about - young folk; the lasting power of words.

I played some songs at a thing for Thi Wurd in Glasgow the other night. Great event with some engaging readers. I also liked the presentation given by Andrew Cranston and the screening of Martin Clark's "Jealous Alan". I recommend keeping your eyes peeled for the next one; editor-organizer Alan always puts a lot of care into arranging these nights.

Colin From Accounts was worth sticking with.

I liked this...

(If you are watching the end credits - the electrician has a wonderful name.)

If you are a fan of Alex Chilton and you were not aware of this - you are now.

If you know and like the art of Joan Eardley (and even if you don't) this is worth a listen, in my humble opinion.

Lyra is a powerful, heartbreaking documentary available on Channel 4.

I enjoyed Alan Bennet's "Kafka's Dick'. You can become acquainted with it here.

Very sad to learn of the passing of Michael Palin's wife, Helen. If you've read his diaries you would know how much they meant to each other. I had just re-listened to his Desert Island Discs interview from 1979 a couple of days ago.

New from Laura Cantrell...

Laura's upcoming tour dates are here.

Also digging Becoming Frida Kahlo on BBC. What a life. What a fearless pioneer.

Teenage Fanclub have added a gig in Cork to our June schedule. All gigs for 2023 are here.

Spanish brandy update - this is nice... 


..not fancy but quaffable in the spirit of Felipe II. And cheap - if you live in Spain. Impossible to get in the UK.

I completed my wee introductory print course at Glasgow Print Studio. Loved it. The last two sessions were Mono Printing...




...and Etching...


Loved the experience and would recommend. Thinking about another part time evening class sometime, somewhere.

I am working on TV music.

And still I sketch and draw...



















































No comments:

Post a Comment