Thursday 29 November 2018

"There's No Glory In Outstripping Donkeys"

I was delighted to find a letter that Alex Chilton wrote me several yonks ago.


I can't put my hands on the compilation tape now, but I remember there was stuff by The Gories, The Scruffs, The Country Rockers and a wonderful version of "Alligator Man" by The Greenbriar Boys.

In 1993 (September?) after Big Star played the QM in Glasgow, supported by BMX Bandits, a squad of us ended up at a get together in someone's flat. A couple of acoustic guitars appeared and there was a sing song. I remember one song was"California Girls" because I was strumming one of the guitars and LX cued me for the riff before the last chorus - and my fingers turned to boxing-begloved sausages. Oh well.

Alex sang us this song, mentioned in his letter.



After the initial verse there was some laughing (scoffing?).

Alex kept strumming and said, "Burt Bacharach wrote this".

Came the earnest reply, "Did he?"

Alex (still strumming): "No".




No comments:

Post a Comment