Monday 20 May 2019

I Heart Robert Forster

So on Friday I saw Robert Forster at St Luke's in Glasgow. Don't know when I last loved a gig so much.

Too many highlights. "Surfing Magazines", "One Bird In The Sky", "Finding You" (!!), "Learn To Burn", "Life Has Turned A Page", "Dive For Your Memory", "The Morning" and "Spring Rain" will do for now. Oh and let's not forget Robert's invisible theremin playing along with Karin Bäumler's violin.

The show was long but it never dipped once. The energy just kept building. Robert was loving it - and so were we. Band were great. Wish we could do it all again soon.

Robert's latest album "Inferno" was a frequent soundtrack for me during Teenage Fanclub's recent touring. If you haven't heard it yet - well, I sure do recommend it.


I enjoyed seeing "Dirt Road To Lafayette" - a celebration of the power of music among other things. And lo and behold: a few nights later I was sharing a stage with the great James Kelman himself for a live event organised by thi wurd magazine. I sang three songs co-written with Harry Pye. (I dedicated "Isle Of Capri" to grandmothers everywhere.) Kelman read "The Burn". Glad I wasn't following him.

On Saturday I attended my first ever Mozart Opera - "The Magic Flute".



In my experience Scottish Opera's stagings are always brilliant. And 'twas great to hear this performed:


I think some the dialogue had been updated since Wolfgang's day; eg "This is supposed to be grand opera - not Coronation Street"...

On Sunday I popped my head round the door of a Camera Obscura rehearsal. If you are lucky enough to have a ticket for St Luke's in August (both shows sold out) or The Boaty Weekender - I reckon you're in for a treat.

Here is a petition to help Save Loch Lomond from the developers of Flamingo Land - please consider signing and sharing.

Oh - and #StopBrexit

No comments:

Post a Comment