Monday 22 June 2020

"I love this album to the point of madness"


Tim Burgess is the saviour of Twitter and the Lockdown Blues. His communal online listening parties are brilliant; making us groove to albums from start to finish - just like the old days - while sharing our memories and enthusiasm. Very positive happenings.

I loved the two Dexy's Midnight Runners parties ("Searching For The Young Soul Rebels" and "Too-Rye-Ay"), and the one for Camera Obscura "Let's Get Out Of This Country" (naturally).

Last night (as I type) it was the turn of Laura Cantrell's "Not The Tremblin' Kind" which still sounds bloody great 20 years after release (on a certain DIY label out of Glasgow, Bonnie Scotland).

Bob Harris and Andy Kershaw played NTTK on national radio here, but the late great John Peel was a huge champion, declaring it:
 "My favourite album of the last 10 years and possibly my life".
I was looking through old faded radio reports of yore and came across another transcribed recommendation from JP:
"I love this album to the point of madness". 
Here's a postcard Peel sent to the Shoeshine Records HQ. He'd bought 14 x copies of NTTK and was wondering when Laura would release the follow up:


In other news I am digging the new Bob album. This is my current favourite (those wee tantalising harmonica breaks!).

I recommend this:


If you haven't read the original gem of a book I would say maybe try and read it first:


"Punk Rock Boy" is the song I contributed to Juniper's debut album. Incidentally Joff Winterhart's band Bucky have a track on Juniper's album too. Small world but I wouldn't like to paint it.

One episode down of "State Of Happiness" and I am ready for Episode 2:


I thought Joe Wicks was very likeable on Desert Island Discs.

And a wee reminder that if the good lord's willing and the creeks don't rise, we might see some of you on the road next year:

No comments:

Post a Comment