Monday 10 January 2022

Pánico en el Transiberiano

 It's January...

Toast Of Tinseltown makes me laugh out loud. Even if I did manage to accidentally watch the last episode first. D'oh.


Lists can sometimes be a bit silly in my humble opining (Every Beatles Song Ranked From Best To Worst!, etc...) and I wouldn't say I'm a huge horror fan. However. If I had to pick out a few of my favourites they'd include The Wicker Man, I Walked With A Zombie and - Horror Express.



Made in 1972, set in 1906. A murderous fossilized-alien-monster-thing on the Trans-Siberian Express with Cushing and Lee and the fragrant Silvia Tortosa, it's a hoot well before Telly Savalas turns up as a vodka swiggin', fornicatin', rootin'-tootin'-cherootin', scenery-chewin' cossack. I first saw it late one weekend night in the early 80s on a sleepover with my cousins, one of whom sagely informed me that (the film's mumbo jumbo about) images being retained in a dead person's eye was how they caught Jack The Ripper (eh?). Fond memories flickered down the decades and I sought it out on eBay a couple of years ago for a revisit. It didn't disappoint. I watched it again the other night and enjoyed it more than ever.

The soundtrack by John Cacavas is splendid...


This was a late partial Christmas present:


Some great photos in the Monumental Art section in particular. Arseniy Kotov's website is here.

If you are currently unfamiliar with Worldle  I dare you to click here...

The Ghan: Australia's Greatest Train Journey is a quietly absorbing watch. Maybe the director could also make a doc about the Trans-Siberian Railway.

I'm off to write music for a thing I can't tell you about. Sad to say it doesn't involve zombie cossacks.



No comments:

Post a Comment