Tuesday 28 July 2020

Merry Christmas, Coronation Street

I noticed that Nicola Sturgeon followed me on Twitter a while ago when she "liked" a painting by Lowry that I had retweeted. Hannah Currie noticed that Nicola Sturgeon followed me. Hannah Currie - with producer Beth Allan - made a BAFTA Scotland-winning documentary called "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore". I provided the music (except for the song at the end by Withered Hand).

Hannah said she would love it if Nicola saw her film. I know the First Minister is busy running a country in the midst of a global pandemic, but she does seem to make time in her life for a bit of culture, promoting reading lists and what not. Whether she has time to interact with every message that comes her way is another matter, of course. I sent her 'a DM' (me and the zeitgeist are like that) with a link to the film. Hannah tweeted that she hoped Nicola would watch the film. Here is a screenshot from Hannah's phone:


"That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" recently got an airing on BBC Scotland and it's an excellent way to spend 12 minutes. If you haven't seen it - here's the link.

If you can't access i-player, for now here's the trailer:



I finished State Of Happiness. I liked it.

I am re-watching the first series of Ghosts. Splendid, silly fun.


Roll on Series 2.

I enjoyed Nico's Menu Mission on BBC Scotland.

Once Upon A Time In Iraq is compelling viewing.

I liked this BBC Radio 4 doc about Mendelssohn's Octet.

I read and enjoyed "Out Of The Frying Pan", Keith Floyd's first autobiography (having read his second one few weeks ago).

What a life. I'm glad I wasn't married to the old rascal but I think I would sit him across from Billy Connolly at my Fantasy Dinner Party. I am still making my way though his various TV series; my nostalgic, televisual equivalent to comfort eating in these troubled times. I'm currently on "Floyd On Africa". Yes I've seen the bit with the emus.

I'm now reading this:

Oh, here's a bluegrass cover of my sole Teenage Fanclub co-write:

You are onboard with Laura Cantrell's new recording project right?

When children get their hands on their mother's phone, knowing full well that their father doesn't like goat's cheese:



In unrelated news it looks like we've gone and got a dog (!). She's beautiful but very timid and could use a bath. Early days. Wish us luck.

Tinkety-tonk!

No comments:

Post a Comment