Monday 30 May 2016

Laura Cantrell and Robert Forster

So Laura Cantrell was just on the Andrew Marr Show on BBC One.


I've blogged about the amazing Laura before. Something like 17 years (!?!) after hearing a 'demo' of this song, how great to be part of performing it on national telly. What am I talking about??? click HERE

I'm just saying have a *think* about adding a drum solo


Now go and buy her "Not The Tremblin' Kind" or her new "BBC Sessions" album - or anything by Laura Cantrell. You won't be disappointed.



Last night (Sun 29th May) I went to see Robert Forster at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut in dear ol' Glasgow town. 


His voice was a bit rough ("sorry for sounding like Joe Cocker or late period Dylan"). Any other artist might have cancelled. But Robert + band put on a *brilliant* show. Humour and theatre and dynamics. Loads of highlights including Surfing Magazines, Draining The Pool For You, Danger In The Past, A Poet Walks and a pretty special version of this.

His new album "Songs To Play" is great.


Teenage Fanclub played some shows with The Go-Betweens in Spain in 2000 when their reunion album "The Friends Of Rachel Worth" was coming out. Then a few years later we played another run of shows together, finishing up in Bilbao's Cafe Antzokia which was particularly memorable. Draining The Pool was a highlight then too, with Robert intoning "I'm gonna go up those stairs" as the band vamped behind him before he made his exit at the end of their set. I think it was the last Go-Betweens club show before we lost Grant McLennan.

I was at Tut's with my old muckers Finlay Macdonald and Sushil Dade. A good few years ago me, Fin, Sushil and John Hogarty backed Robert for some songs at a gig in Glasgow. Here's a stream of us playing Lee Remick

Where does the time go?

Now I'm off to write music for a project I can't tell you about.






No comments:

Post a Comment